Yard and Garage Sales
Organizing a neighborhood yard or garage sale is a great way to promote camaraderie with your neighbors. A successful neighborhood yard sale will help you get rid of stuff you no longer have a use for and make almost twice as much than holding your own individual sale—it will be something that you and your neighbors will look forward to each year!
Whether you are holding the sale on your own, with multiple families, or with the entire street or neighborhood, all involved need to abide by township rules.
- Permits are required in both South Orange and Maplewood and are available on line (www.southorange.orgor www.twp.maplewood.nj.us) and in each municipal clerk’s office
- The permit fee is $10 in South Orange and in Maplewood
- Both towns require that sales be held between 9 AM and 6 PM and last no more than 4 consecutive days
- There are restrictions on sign placements; check town websites for details
- Multiple households can combine efforts to publicize and sell items at one location using only one permit
- Please support other neighbors by complying with garage sale registration and other township requirements, including parking